Our eyes function because of the blood circulation, if the blood circulation is reduced then our vision will be at stake too. Just like we exercise other muscles of our body, eyes muscles need to be exercised too. Lets not forget eyes have muscles too, that needs exercise and fresh blood and oxygen for it to function effectively. So in this post I am going to reveal my favourite 6 eye exercises to improve vision naturally.
With increasing technology our eyes too have to meet the demands of being exposed to artificial lights all day (computer). People that are exposed to visual displays most commonly experience visual discomfort such as itching, redness, double vision, tired eyes, dry eyes, blurred vision. Most of us face eye fatigue due to exposure to computer, reading and all skills that involve visual focus. Eye fatigue symptoms involve pain around the eyes, headache and blurred vision. A study performed by journal of physical therapy science (June 28, 2016) revealed that “yogic eye exercise can relieve eye fatigue levels” on people.
So the good news is it is possible to improve vision with the power of yoga, you can cure eyes fatigue and all the eyes ailments that you thought would never cure such as
- Double vision
- Colour vision
- Blurred vision
- Eye fatigue
My favourite most natural ointment for eyes
Drishti eye drops is one of the most natural treatment for eyes. It is an organic antiseptic eyedrop which cools and soothes eyes. It is made up of the most natural ingredients that are onion water, ginger, honey. This eye drop improves vision and prevents most eye problems from occurring in the first place.
Want to check if your eyes are relaxed? Lets try it now, close your eyes and feel your eyelashes, are they flickering or relaxed?
1. Eyeball movements
- Close your eyes and focus your inner vision to the center of your forehead. Let your eyes feel relaxed with this for 10 seconds
- Open your eyes, without moving your head, look all the way to the right, all the way to the left. (6 times)
- Look all the way down then all the way up. (6 times)
- Look at the object in front of you, then at the object far away or you can look outside the window too. (6 times)
- Rotate your eyes in circles, three times towards the right and three times towards the left.
Note: Do not move your head while moving your eyes.
Close your eyes and see how does your it feel now?
- Increases the blood supply to the eyes.
- Exercises and strengthens the eye muscles.
- Relaxes the eyes and improves concentration.
2. Energizing the eyes with palm rubbing
- Rub your palms together to energize them until they are hot.
- Close your eyes and place your warm palms over your eyes.
- Repeat the process of rubbing palm and placing on your eyes for three more times.
- With your eyes closed, lay your hands on your lap.
Benefit: This exercise rejuvenates the eyes muscles and promotes the circulation of aqueous humour which further corrects defective vision.
3. Circling around a dot
- Close your eyes and raise your right arm straight in front of you to the level of your eyes
- Extend your index finger, close your eyes and imagine pointing a dot.
- With your eyes closed, make imaginary small circles with your index finger around the dot, allow your inner vision to follow your finger.
- Increase the circles to bigger size while letting your inner vision to follow the finger.
- Start making smaller circles again and let your inner vision arrive at the point from where you started.
- Close your eyes and repeat the same steps with your left index finger
4. Watching a pendulum
- Close your eyes and imagine a white wall with a pendulum on it.
- Imagine the pendulum swing from left to right and let your inner vision follow it from left to right.
- Your head can move slightly left to right with the pendulum
- Let your eyes relax by allowing the pendulum to come to a standpoint.
- Feel the effect this has on your eyes with your eyes still closed.
Benefits: This exercise relaxes the tensed eyes muscles that have been strained by visual tasks.
5. Washing eyes with cold water
- Puff your mouth with water
- Without swallowing the water, splash cold water on your eyes in the morning
Benefit: This exercise helps to get rid of dark circles, you will notice a difference in 6 months.
6. Exercising the eyes
- Rub your palms together until they are warm.
- Close your eyes and place your palms over your eyes.
- Leave your palms on your eyes, with eyes closed, use your inner vision to look three times upward to the right.
- Look three times downward to the left.
- Rub your palms again together and place them on your eyes
- Look three times upwards to the left
- Look three times downwards to the right.
- Rub your palms again together and place them on your eyes.
- Move your eyes three times in circles towards the right.
- Move your eyes three times in circles towards the left.
- Release your hands and place them on your lap, feel the effect now.
Benefits:This exercise relaxes the eye muscles and strengthens them, increases mobility of the eyes.
The best part is you can do these fun exercises any time of the day specially when you are in front of the computer and your eyes feel tired. Just go ahead and pamper them for 5 minutes and see the difference. Everyday practice will improve your vision and prevent any eye discomforts, the most common one being eye fatigue. I prefer doing them in the morning as that is the best time to charge your body and eyes for the day but if that does not suit you, you can do them at anytime of the day as well.
Please leave your comments below. I would love to hear from you.
Reference Sources are sited below:
Rohnfeld. E. Chair Yoga: Seated Exercises for Health and Wellbeing. 2012; 143-150