What is Diabetes
Diabetes is the worlds fastest growing disease, just over the past decade the number of patients suffering from diabetes has increased by 50%. In Canada alone, more than 60,000 new cases are reported every year. The most common type is the type 2 diabetes, out of every ten diabetic patients, nine has type 2 diabetes. However consuming sugar itself does not cause diabetes but when you are diagnosed with diabetes, eating foods that are high in sugar can increase your blood sugar level. Diabetes is caused when the “pancreas” that produces insulin to convert sugars to energy stops functioning partially or completely. This way all the sugars that is broken down from our food consumption remains stored in our blood causing rise in the blood sugar level.
Medicines can only keep your sugar level steady plus you would have to take them all your life while the dosage keeps increasing as time passes by.The good news is you do not have to live with diabetes and its medication all your life, yoga can restore your pancreas to its normal functioning which no other medicine can and neither has science been able to comes up with a permanent solution so far. So my advice is, it is definitely worth your time to try yoga for diabetes cure and know that you will remember my words later, that this will be the best decision of your life.
Most common Symptoms of type 2 Diabetes
- Frequent urination
- Sudden weight loss for no reason
- Excessive thirst
- Increased hunger
What can you do to prevent or recover from Diabetes?
- Eat a healthy diet without sugar.
- Avoid processed products and spicy and fried foods.
- Monitor your blood sugar levels, your feet (if any signs of swelling or redness), and your weight.
- Say no to stress, stay positive and happy.
- Stay physically active by doing yoga, exercising or walking.
Before I get started with the pranayamas, one most important thing to keep in mind is to do this on an empty stomach atleast 3-4 hours after your meals. Do not drink water during pranayamas, it is best to drink water half an hour before starting pranayama or half an hour after finishing your pranayamas.
1. Kapaalbhati Pranayama (Breath of Fire)
Diabetes is the main cause effecting 30% of the population’s eyesight to cause blindness and it is the seventh major reason for deaths caused . Most vision problems can be eliminated and cured with Kapalbhati Pranayama. Just like diabetes is called the mother of all diseases Kapaalbhati Pranayama is the master pranayama of yoga as this pranayama alone can help you get rid of 90% diseases in your body. Try this pranayama for 15 minutes for the next 3 days and you will notice that your diabetes will be much under control . This is a very effective pranayama to help reactivate your pancreas as when you breathe out, the pressure with which the stomach pulls in, gently massages the internal organs and the pancreas. Perform this pranayama without any stress, just calm down and focus on your breath.
2. Anulom Vilom Pranayama (Alternate nostril breathing)
Diabetes effects the entire nervous system including your skin, heart, eye sight, blood pressure. Anulom Vilom pranayama is an excellent way to take care of your entire health, it repairs all the cells and the complications. Your body and mind will be relaxed, do not worry or think about anything else just concentrate on your breathing and feel that you are recovering completely. This pranayama regulates both high and low blood pressure to appropriate levels. It has been noticed that it reduces arteries blockages by 30-40% after practicing this for 3-4 months. It rejuvenates the cells not only in our bodies but also our brain cells which means more oxygen intake in our cells thereby it cures all of the mental problems like depression, anger, stress, insomnia. It helps to give us peace of mind. Also if you want to burn fat just by sitting down then give this pranayama a try!
- Sit straight crossing your feets (Half lotus position), close your eyes.
- With your right hand thumb finger close your right nostril and place your other hand on the knee (palm facing up).
- Inhale from the left nostril.
- With your ring finger close your left nostril and exhale to the right nostril.
- Inhale from the right nostril and exhale from the left nostril.
- As a beginner you can start from 2 minutes and then keep adding more time to it everyday until you can do this pranayam for 15 minutes.
Note: The nostril that you exhale from, inhale from the same nostril each time to complete one cycle of breathing.While breathing in, breathe all the air into your lungs. Ensure to gently and deeply breathe in and out.
3. Bhramari Pranayama (Bee Humming)
This is also called the bee breathing pranayama due to the humming bee kind of sound that it produces. It is not uncommon for some people to suffer from depression upon diagnosis of diabetes. To heal from diabetes it is very important to keep your mind calm and stay happy. This sound calms the mind and helps you fight depression, anxiety, anger or any other mental illness. Bhramari Pranayama relieves headache as well as reduce migraines. It is also very good in reducing high blood pressure and hypertension.
- Sit straight crossing your feets (Half lotus position), close your eyes.
- Close both your ears with your thumb finger by slightly pressing your thumb finger on the cartilage.
- Place both your index finger on your forehead.
- Cover your eyes with rest of the three finger.
- Deeply inhale and exhale slowly with the humming bee sound.
- Repeat this for 4-5 times.
Caution: Do not open your mouth while making the humming sound of bee. Avoid pressing your fingers on your eyes that will create tension on your face; you need to just cover your eyes.
4. Bahya Pranayam
While doing Bahya pranayam imagine that your pancreas is creating insulin. This pranayam cures all stomach problems as well. It is a very beneficial pose for curing reproductive problems such as fertility issues and sperm count.
- Sit straight with your spine and head straight, while placing your hands on your knees (with palms facing up).
- Deeply inhale, then bend your head to touch your chest and forcibly exhale your breath out.
- Hold your breath and try to pull your stomach in towards your spine as much as you can.
- Then release your stomach, keep pulling your stomach and releasing it for 3-4 times by holding your breath.
Note: Do not force yourself to hold your breath, hold it as long as you comfortably can and with time you will be able to master the skill of holding your breath for 3-4 cycles (of pulling in and releasing your stomach)
Caution: Do not perform this pranayam if you are heart or BP patient.
Besides practicing yoga for a healthy body, it is equally important that you eat healthy food with less sugar. Avoid foods that are processed, too spicy; the best is to start eating fruits and veggies in their natural form. Eat fruits without adding any processed product to them and eat veggies without frying them, just boil them. It is fine to eat fresh fruits as the natural sugar from fruit does not cause harm but the artificial sugar will be harmful. Avoid processed juice, if you wish to drink juice then make it at home in a blender not a juicer as juicer sucks all the fiber out and only leaves sugar. It is not necessary that you exercise or run but atleast walking for more than half an hour daily is crucial for your health. Stress is the major cause of all illness including diabetes so stay positive and happy. Do things that make you happy, be around positive people as you get positive vibes and the more positive vibes you create, your body will also react positively to recovery.
I would be happy to connect with you if you need any feedback or support. Leave your comment below on what helped you, or if you have tried yoga for diabetes. I will be updating and adding more interesting information, so please keep coming back.
Thank you for dropping by, I wish you a happy yoga with a happy, healthy body.